Hi friends! I was recently nominated by Perth Girl of “The F-Word” blog (go check out her blog if you haven’t already at https://faithfood.blog/ !) for the Sunshine Blogger Award! I am beyond humbled and thankful for this special honor!
The Sunshine Blogger Award is peer recognition for bloggers who inspire, are creative and spread positivity.
Rules for the Award
- Thank the blogger who nominated you and link back to their blog.
- Answer the 11 questions you’ve been asked.
- Nominate 11 bloggers and ask them 11 questions.
- Inform your nominees through commenting on their post.
- Display the rules and the Sunshine Blogger Award logo on your post.
Perth Girl’s questions for me are:
1. What is the best advice you ever received?
This is a tough one for me, but honestly, I think it has to be truth that came out of the mouth of Jesus Himself:
“A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
John 13: 34-35, ESV
Aside from loving God with all my heart, mind, soul, and strength, this has to be the “advice” on which I anchor my life, my work, my relationships. Unconditional, sacrificial love saturated with truth and grace has the power to change lives and the world, and ultimately brings God glory and honor in the highest. I don’t think any other teaching or advice can come close to this!
2. Do you do any writing other than your blog? If so, what kind?
I used to be an avid journaler, recording my every thought and feeling almost daily, but this practice has waned in recent years as my time has been more and more consumed with the responsibilities of marriage and adulthood. However, every now and again I do still do some prayer journaling to get some things out of my heart, onto a page, and into the ears of the Lord.
3. Three interesting facts about yourself?
Hmm, this is always tough for me, ha, but I suppose these facts are pretty interesting:
I studied abroad in Dublin, Ireland, with one of my best friends for a semester my junior year of college. During that time I visited 11 different countries and experienced both the most incredible and most challenging time of my life!
I’ve been a singer for as long as I can remember, participating in school and church youth choirs from a young age and all the way through middle and high school. In college I minored in music and sang in various university ensembles and was part of a Christian a cappella group all four years of undergrad. After taking a few years off from singing after college, I’ve recently begun serving on my church’s worship team, which has been humbling and life-giving and oh so much fun.
Although I currently work in foster care, the majority of my intern and work experience, as well as my graduate certificate, is in geriatrics! I have always loved working with older adults and their families and caregivers and hope to return to this work in my career someday.
4. Have you ever traveled somewhere and it was completely different from what you expected, better or worse, tell us a bit about it?
Well, as I mentioned in my response to the previous question, I spent a semester abroad in college and got to travel to many new places, all of which blew any expectations I had about them out of the water! Perhaps the most shocking experience for me was my brief visit to Rome, Italy. As the naive, privileged American girl that I was/am, I was quite taken aback that the amount of English spoken in this world capital was much less than most of the other major cities I had visited, which made traversing Rome a bit more difficult than anticipated. There was also quite the tourism culture there, and of course I fell into a trap or two which left me feeling silly and embarrassed. But overall, Rome was a beautiful city filled with amazing culture, fabulous food, beautiful architecture and landscapes, and rich history. I definitely hope to return someday, this time with a little more wisdom!
5. What is the most valuable thing you have learned from blogging?
Without a doubt, the most important thing I’ve learned from blogging in the short life of Bumbling Beauty is the necessity of patience and perspective. Blogging takes a lot of work, planning, and preparation, and while my content may be uniquely mine, it represents only a tiny sliver of all the amazing offerings out there in the blogosphere. It will take time for me to build my blog and my audience, and a small circle of readers is in no way a failure, but instead the necessary foundation for the future of my blog. In this season I just have to remember why I started this journey in the first place and keep pushing forward!
6. What is your favorite social media platform and why?
This is a tough one! I love the aesthetic and ease of use of Instagram, but honestly really appreciate the versatility of Facebook because my content and audience interactions aren’t limited to images.
7. What is your go-to weeknight dinner?
Ben and I probably enjoy breakfast for dinner every few weeks or so, mainly because it’s quick, inexpensive, yummy, and fun! Usually it consists of scrambled eggs, either sausage or bacon, and some cinnamon pancakes with maple syrup! It’s not the healthiest meal ever, but hey, sometimes you have to live a little!
8. Favorite Psalm?
As I mentioned, I was in a Christian a cappella group in college, the name of which was Psalm 100, so that scripture holds a special place in my heart!
“Make a joyful noise to the Lord, all the earth! Serve the Lord with gladness! Come into His presence with singing! Know that the Lord, He is God! It is He who made us, and we are His; we are His people, and the sheep of His pasture. Enter His gates with thanksgiving, and His courts with praise! Give thanks to Him; bless His name! For the Lord is good; His steadfast love endures forever, and His faithfulness to all generations.”
Psalm 100, ESV
9. Do you have any pets and what are their names?
Oh yes yes! My sweet, silly, floof of a dog Irie! He is an almost 7-year-old miniature poodle mix (we think maybe a cockapoo?) that we rescued in March of this year. He came with his unique name and we loved it and kept it. He loves to play fetch and snuggle and go on long walks, and he brings us more joy than we could have ever imagined. Rescue an adult dog, you won’t regret it!
10. What would your ideal day be like?
What a fun thought to ponder! It would be a crisp early fall day; I would sleep in until about 8:30, get up and go for a run, grab coffee with a friend, come home for some quiet time and productivity, go thrifting with my handsome hubby, enjoy some reading and a nap in the afternoon, then dinner out with Ben or friends before a sunset walk with Irie. I’d wrap up the day with some Netflix time with Ben before an early bedtime. Dreamy!
If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
Hmmm, I think I’d love the ability to teleport; it would save me a ton of time, allow me to travel the world with ease, let me be with loved ones on a whim, and keep me out of awful and sometimes dangerous traffic!
I would like to nominate the following blogs for the Sunshine Blogger Award:
- Dose of Madison (http://www.doseofmadison.com/)
- Cat’s Corner (https://catscorner.video.blog/)
- Jacob’s Ladder (https://jacobsladderblog.com/)
- Dancing in the Mud (https://www.dancinginthemud.com/)
- In the Life of Kay (https://mrslakey0315.wordpress.com/)
- Drawing Closer to Christ (https://drawingclosertochrist.com/)
- My Tips and Tea (https://mytipsandtea.com/)
- Sculpted By Faith (https://sculptedbyfaith.com/)
- Adorned Heart (http://www.adornedheart.com/)
- Pearls for Girls (https://pearlsforgirlsblog.com)
- Kris and Lil (http://www.krisandlil.com)
These are my questions for you:
- What inspired or motivated you to start your blog?
- What is something important that everyone should know about you?
- What is your dream job?
- What is one item on your bucket list?
- Where do you see yourself in ten years?
- Do you have any children and/or pets? If so, tell us about them!
- Where is the coolest, best, or most surprising place you’ve ever traveled?
- What would be your last meal?
- Describe your perfect day.
- What is the best advice you’ve ever been given, or that you would give to someone else?
- Stealing this one from Jen Hatmaker, who borrowed it from Barbara Brown Taylor…What is saving your life right now?
I am thankful to each of these bloggers/blogs for their contributions to the blogosphere! To all of these publications and their authors, please feel no pressure to participate but know that this is my way of appreciating your writings. I look forward to learning more about you through my questions!
I am excited to bring everyone fresh content next week, but for now, I am basking in the goodness of the blogger community and this awesome honor!
See y’all soon!